BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_compressPool - is it too late?

2010-02-07 14:21:58
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_compressPool - is it too late?
From: Randy Orrison <randy.orrison AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:18:10 +0000
Hi,

Earlier today I upgraded my Debian server from 4.0 to 5.0.  The upgrade
to BackupPC defaulted to compression level 3 (it had been at 0) and I
decided that this would be as good a time as any to turn it on.  There
was a comment in the config file saying to run BackupPC_compressPool to
compress existing files.  I didn't have a chance then, but made a note
to do it later...

[8 hours pass]

... it is now later, and I'm reading up on BackupPC_compressPool.  The
documentation (BackupPC-2.0.2_doc.html) says "there must be no existing
compressed backups when you run BackupPC_compressPool".  Well.  My
BackupPC server has been running, and probably backing up clients, since
I turned on compression.  There are almost certainly (I haven't checked)
some compressed backups now.

Is it really too late to run BackupPC_compressPool?  Is there anything I
can do, or am I forever doomed to having both uncompressed and
compressed copies of the same files, until they expire?

Thank you,

Randy Orrison