BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need Help Configuring a backuppc

2010-02-04 11:44:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need Help Configuring a backuppc
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:43:00 -0600
On 2/4/2010 9:19 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Both machines are on the same LAN with only a switch between them. The
> backuppc host backs up two other machines, all 4 on the same LAN/switch,
> without errors. This is a small network with only 7 machines on it and
> minimal traffic. One machine, hammerhead, runs backuppc, and I am slowly
> adding clients for it to backup. I have three clients running now, and
> this is the first one to break. All four are Debian machines - no
> Windows machines yet.  Backups are run at different times, so there is
> no collision. I am stumped on this one as far as where to start to debug
> it. I could try -vv or -vvv with the rsync log to see more details.

Rsync already told you all it knows, which is that the network
connection is broken.   Which is also what the server side is seeing.
You have something wrong that is causing it to break.  TCP normally can
cover a lot of errors, so you might have problems with the other hosts
as well and just don't notice it if they don't have big files like the
isos where this fails.  Look at the error counters on the NICs with
ifconfig.  If the switch is managed, do the equivalent there.  Networks
should not have any errors/drops/collisions in these counters.  Make
sure iptables isn't doing anything that could time out a connection, and
ethtool should say that the NIC negotiated a full duplex connection.  If
you can't find anything there, I'd just start replacing parts, probably
the wire, switch, and NIC in that order.