BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need Help Configuring a backuppc

2010-02-02 16:19:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need Help Configuring a backuppc
From: Paul Farrow <backuppc_maillist AT farrowcomputing DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:17:38 +0000
My setup is very similar to yours where I have an old 2.6.8 kernel running on a mini-itx machine 800mhz with gig of memory in it.  I did have similar problems trying to backup my snow leopard osx mac via rsync.  It would just stop with various client has aborted the process.  What I did in the end was try to do directories where it had stopped ONLY (ie include files only setting in config) and try to illimunate any problem files.  Also although  backuppc uses 2.8 protocol I  had read on various rsync forums that the later versions were more efficient in the way they do things with the tree structures so I upgraded all my rsync machines to 3.7 and touch wood that seemed to sort the problem.  I have just finished doing a full backup of my laptop after 10 hours and 46gb later, worked a treat.

One thing I found with the laptop also was that it would go to sleep when on batteries and that would drop the wifi and hence the rsync would stop.

Hope that helps.