BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need Help Configuring a backuppc

2010-02-02 13:03:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need Help Configuring a backuppc
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:01:36 -0600
On 2/2/2010 11:25 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:

>     This means that rsync or ssh crashed on the client side.  Likely reasons
>     are being out of memory or file system errors.
>

> Les,
>
> top shows:
>
> top - 10:23:03 up 1 day,  2:50,  2 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.58, 0.54
> Tasks: 149 total,   3 running, 146 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s): 10.0%us,  3.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 77.7%id,  6.7%wa,  1.0%hi,  1.3%si,
> 0.0%st
> Mem:   1034344k total,  1018476k used,    15868k free,     3656k buffers
> Swap:  2000052k total,    20724k used,  1979328k free,   540424k cached
>
> So I should have enough memory, or at least swap space? I will check the
> file system. Thanks!

Rsync has a certain amount of memory overhead per file in the tree - at
least for version < 3.x and I'm not sure if the newer versions are
better when talking to backuppc which will downgrade the xfer protocol
anyway.  One other possibility is that if you are connected through NAT
or a firewall there can be long periods of inactivity when rsync looks
for mismatching files that can make the connection time out and be dropped.