BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC

2010-01-28 17:19:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC
From: Mike Dresser <mdresser_l AT windsormachine DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:52:34 -0500
Chris Robertson wrote:
> 4 Port 3Ware SATA Raid card* - $310
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116052

Careful, the 9550SX/SU's don't work in a PCI slot.
> 1.5 TB SATA Drives - $145 each ( $725 for 5, so you have a spare)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148531

Not sure I'd want 5900 rpm drives.. Depending on how much space you
need, I'd look into spending the bucks and getting some raid edition drives.
> Chris
>
> * PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI, so this card will work in a
> PCI slot.

Except when 3ware doesn't provide the cutout and the slot is physically
incompatible.

I have a 9550SX-16 right here, and there's no way it'll fit in a pci slot.

9500's will run in 64bit mode though, which provides a bit of a boost
compared to just regular PCI

Mike