BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC

2010-01-22 16:18:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] server spec for BackupPC
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:16:52 -0900
Stuart Matthews wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently running BackupPC on the following:
> 1.5GB RAM
> older processor - not sure how fast
> 2TB external USB hard drive
>
> Clearly this isn't cutting it, although it was barely cutting it for a
> few months. This wasn't my optimal setup but I have to be cost conscious
> whenever I can, so I went with "free," because I either had all this
> laying around or had it donated. The current bottlenecks seem to be hard
> drive and RAM, although CPU could be better, too.
>
> The environment I am trying to back up is 23 laptops, mostly OS X. They
> are generally only on the network from 10am - 5pm. The pool size is
> 434.71GB comprising 4522859 files and 4369 directories. Our network is
> 100Mbps.
>
> Here is the hardware I am considering buying:
> Shuttle barebones case, PSU.
> 2x4GB DDR2 800 RAM. max 16GB on this motherboard over four slots.
> Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
> Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
>
> The WD 2TB will be used as the BackupPC drive. I will use a random SATA
> drive that I have sitting around for the system drive. The OS will be
> the latest Debian Linux.
>
> Before I propose to my boss that we spend $1100 on new hardware, I
> wanted to get the opinion of the list as to whether this hardware should
> be sufficient for, say, five years to come, assuming no hardware
> failures.

So you say that your current limitation is currently disk (and possibly
RAM), but you are spending $1,100 mostly on CPU (and RAM).  Personally,
I'd take that money and buy a hardware RAID controller and as many disks
(in the $/GB sweet spot) as I could to use with my current set-up.

Assuming your current computer does not have a PCI-Express slot...

4 Port 3Ware SATA Raid card* - $310
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116052

If you DO have a PCI-Express slot...

4 Port 3Ware SATA Raid card - $275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116076

In either case...

1.5 TB SATA Drives - $145 each ( $725 for 5, so you have a spare)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148531

That leaves at least $65 for shipping and molex to SATA power adapters.
Run the four drives in RAID 5 for maximum space, or RAID 10 for
(possibly) better performance.

>  If you don't think it is sufficient, what do you think will be
> sufficient so I can price that out and propose that to my boss instead?
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
> Stuart Matthews

Chris

* PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI, so this card will work in a
PCI slot.