BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP problem

2009-12-09 06:13:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP problem
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 05:11:49 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote at about 14:11:12 -0600 on Monday, December 7, 2009:
 > It applies to full rsync or rsyncd backups.  An interrupted full should
 > be marked as a 'partial' in your backup summary - and the subsequent
 > full retry should not transfer the completed files again although it
 > will take the time to to a block checksum compare over them.  I don't
 > think it applies to incomplete files, so if you have one huge file that
 > didn't finish I think it would retry from the start.   This and
 > Conf{IncrLevels} are fairly recent additions - be sure you have a
 > current backuppc version and the code and documentation match.   Even
 > the current version won't find new or moved content if it exists in the
 > pool, though.

Is there any reason the rsync option --partial couldn't be implemented
in perl-File-RsyncP (if not already there)? This would presumably
allow partial backups of single files to be resumed. Not sure how hard
it would be but intuitively, I wouldn't think it would be too hard.

This could be important when backing up large files (e.g., video,
databases, isos) and in particular over a slow link.