BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP problem

2009-12-07 15:13:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP problem
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:11:12 -0600
Harald Amtmann wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:08:52 -0600
>> Von: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
>> An: "General list for user discussion,       questions and support"
>> <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
>> Betreff: Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP problem
>
>> Harald Amtmann wrote:
>>> So, for anyone who cares (doesn't seem to be anyone on this list who
>> noticed), I found this post from 2006 stating and analyzing my exact problem:
>>> http://www.topology.org/linux/backuppc.html
>>> On this site, search for "Design flaw: Avoidable re-transmission of
>> massive amounts of data."
>>
>> It's documented behavior, so not a surprise.
>
> "With the rsync transfer method the partial backup is used to resume the next
> full backup, avoiding the need to retransfer the file data already in the
> partial backup."
>
> This is also from the docs and doesn't work. I have 40 GB of data and do a
> first full backup. It gets interrupted. I start it again and all data is
> retransmitted. Does the "rsync transfer method" not include rsyncd method
> which I am using?

It applies to full rsync or rsyncd backups.  An interrupted full should
be marked as a 'partial' in your backup summary - and the subsequent
full retry should not transfer the completed files again although it
will take the time to to a block checksum compare over them.  I don't
think it applies to incomplete files, so if you have one huge file that
didn't finish I think it would retry from the start.   This and
Conf{IncrLevels} are fairly recent additions - be sure you have a
current backuppc version and the code and documentation match.   Even
the current version won't find new or moved content if it exists in the
pool, though.