BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC migration FC7 to FC10

2009-12-07 16:55:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC migration FC7 to FC10
From: Shawn Perry <redmopml AT comcast DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:52:13 -0700
I an not suggesting that you use LVM to expand a partition, but it is
much easier to move a partition to a new and larger disk/array when
it's on an LVM.

Put another way

1.  Add the new disk/array
2.  run pvcreate on it
3.  vgextend the old VG to include the new disk/array
4.  pvmove from the old array to the new array
5.  vgreduce the old PV from the VG
6.  resize the file system.

Hardware willing, you don't even have to reboot or take backuppc offline.

As far as BackupPC goes, I do not believe that speed is life.  I
believe that reliability and flexibility is life.  This isn't a
database server here.  Pick a good fast reliable RAID array (I like
RAID 10 with a hot spare) and have at it.

Shawn