BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how can I find out how much space a given host uses?

2009-12-01 09:32:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how can I find out how much space a given host uses?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:28:50 -0500
Pieter Wuille wrote at about 13:18:33 +0100 on Tuesday, December 1, 2009:
 > What you can do is count the allocated space for each directory and file, but
 > divide the numbers for files by (nHardlinks+1). This way you end up
 > distributing the size each file takes on disks over the different backups it
 > belongs to.
 >
 > I have a script that does this; if there's interest i'll attach it. It does
 > take a day (wild guess, never accurately measured) to go over all pc/*
 > directories (Pool is 370.65GB comprising 4237093 files and 4369
 > directories)

I am surprised that it would take a day.

The only real cost should be that of doing a 'find' and a 'stat' on
the pc tree - which I would do in perl so that I could do the
arithmetic in place (rather than having to use a *nix find -printf to
pass it off to another program).

Unless you have a huge number of pc's and backups, I can't imagine
this would take more than a couple of hours since your total number of
unique files in only about 4 million.

Given that you only have 4 million unique files, you could even avoid
the multiple stats at the cost of that much memory by caching the
nlinks and size by inode number.

Can you post your script?