BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how can I find out how much space a given host uses?

2009-12-01 07:39:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how can I find out how much space a given host uses?
From: Pieter Wuille <sipa AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:18:33 +0100
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:36:21PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> > This is a frequent question.  The answer is: no such statistic exists.  A
> > host
> > does not use a given amount of space at all.  All files are pooled, and one
> > cannot say how much of the pool a specific host uses, because there is
> > overlap.
> > Only the storage/transfer statistics per backup are relevant.
> >
> > You could total up the transfer statistics for a rough guess, but again it
> > ignores pooling.
> >
> > What problem are you trying to solve with this question?
>
> I just want to be able to tell the people using backup: "your server
> uses this amount of space in backup" (without taking non-technical
> people through what pooling is etc.).
>
> Sort of "accounting" question.

What you can do is count the allocated space for each directory and file, but
divide the numbers for files by (nHardlinks+1). This way you end up
distributing the size each file takes on disks over the different backups it
belongs to.

I have a script that does this; if there's interest i'll attach it. It does
take a day (wild guess, never accurately measured) to go over all pc/*
directories (Pool is 370.65GB comprising 4237093 files and 4369 directories).

--
Pieter