BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] entities using BackupPC

2009-10-27 14:07:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] entities using BackupPC
From: Robert Kosinski <robert.kosinski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:04:11 -0400
I work for a small media company and we have used BackupPC since 2005.
While the original setup handled 50 employees, our company is
currently down to about 30 due to economic hardship.

Current pool size is about 750 GB, most of which is from our main file
server; BackupPC reports the before pooled size as 2361 GB. Data is
kept between a week and a month, depending on type and importance.

While I've never ran though a true disaster scenario, BackupPC was
instrumental in upgrading our Macintosh computers. After pushing the
disk image, we pushed user profiles from BackupPC. Additionally, we've
recovered from countless "oopses" and corrupted Outlook auto-complete
databases.

My opinion is that BackupPC is rock solid--even surprisingly so. While
I don't have experience with enterprise backup solutions, I feel
BackupPC is superior to all other free and commercial software aimed
at individuals and small businesses for a multitude of reasons,
including its pooling structure, its tenacity in attempting backups
until they are gotten, and how little babysitting it needs. BackupPC
out of the box is not a solution for Exchange backup, however, which
is its Achilles' heel. Similarly, it doesn't support VSS, so open
files are skipped over, which may or may not be an issue for you. I
know there is movement toward supporting Exchange and open files
scenarios, but I don't have experience with them.