BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] entities using BackupPC

2009-10-27 12:52:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] entities using BackupPC
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:49:32 +0000
On Tuesday 27 October 2009 16:18:15 Adam Williams wrote:
> I've been running BackupPC in a test environment here, and so far it has
> been working very well.  I'd like to roll it out into production, but I
> wanted to know, are there any businesses or government entities using
> BackupPC in live environments?   Can you give a range of employees or
> servers you are backing up?  Data sizes you are backing up?  How well do
> you like BackupPC for backing up your mission critical data?

A survey would be interesting.

My company uses 3 instances of BackupPC, 2 in offices and 1 at our central
colo.  We have 4 colos, and this one central one backs them all up over the
Internet.

We have 20 employees and back up 20 PCs between those two "office" BackupPC
servers.  We have 75 servers across the offices and colos.  The central
BackupPC instance backs up a total of 61 hosts.

Average server holds 15 GB of data, including OS.  Average PC 30 GB, but we
only backup /etc/ and /home/ on the PCs.  All are Linux, server and
workstation.  Mostly Ubuntu and some CentOS/RHEL.

Total pool usage is 500 GB, but that's after 45 days of use.  We store 5
months of fulls in a stagger $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = { 4,3,2 }, where
$Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.8', plus the last 12 dailies.

We use compression and checksum caching, and none of the BackupPC servers are
of high spec (best one is a Pentium 4 dual core 3 GHz with 1 GB of RAM).
Backups are speedy and reliable.  We've performed 2 bare-metal restores so far
and many small recoveries.  The only issue is that it cannot remove existing
files in the restore target directory (think "rsync -a --delete"), so be sure
to restore to a basic OS install with nothing else on it.

I absolutely love BackupPC.  I ran Bacula for 2 years before this, and have
experience with several basic systems like rsync to disk and dump+tar to tape.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Beware of altruism. It is based on self-deception, the root of all evil."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein