BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosts that go to sleep during backup

2009-10-17 23:36:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosts that go to sleep during backup
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:32:48 -0400
Tyler J. Wagner wrote at about 22:45:56 +0100 on Saturday, October 17, 2009:
 > Some of my target hosts go to sleep during a backup.  These are laptops, and
 > the user closes the lid and goes home.  When that happens, rsync (the backup
 > method I use) isn't killed.  Therefore the BackupPC server never registers
 > this as a network interruption and I must wait for that backup process to
 > time
 > out before it is marked as a failure.
 >
 > Has anyone solved this?  I can think of two solutions:
 >
 > 1. On the clients that might sleep, write a script that is added to the
 > stuff
 > that is run prior to software suspend.  Have it kill the running rsync.
 > Thus
 > the server is warned that the connection was shut down.
 >
 > 2. Have the server ping the client every 60 seconds or so as a backup is
 > running.  If the pings don't respond for 5 minutes in a row or something,
 > stop
 > the backup.
 >
 > The reason this is an issue is because I've set only one backup at a time,
 > as
 > most laptop users are on wireless and I cannot have too many backup
 > processes
 > run at once.

This has been discussed in the past -- i.e., we have discussed various
ways of determining when a backup is stopped/hung vs. just slowed
down. The challenge here is that in order to take into account a
robust range of network connections and backup sizes, the timeout is
set conservatively to be long. On the other hand, this means that the
wait for the timeout is very long when backuppc hangs (whether due to
machines disconnecting or rsync hanging or anything else).

Doing a ping may be sufficient for your case of a client going to
"sleep" but it wouldn't cover other cases where the backup itself
hangs for various reasons.

But your point is a good one and hopefully such functionality is on
the roadmap for future versions of Backuppc.

Craig: is this on your roadmap?