BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Merging backups

2009-10-17 19:16:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Merging backups
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:12:57 -0400
Peter Walter wrote at about 12:10:52 -0400 on Friday, October 16, 2009:
 > Michael Stowe wrote:
 > > If it's the same data, why merge them at all?  Why not just delete the
 > > superfluous backups?
 > >

 > >> I have a situation where a single laptop was replaced twice, but with
 > >> all the data ghosted from one laptop to another. The computer name was
 > >> then changed, and a new BackupPC entry created. I therefore have three
 > >> sets of non-overlapping backups in BackupPC, but they really refer to
 > >> the same set of data. How can I merge the three sets of backup data into
 > >> one set going forward?
 > >>
 > >> Peter
 > >>

 > The backups are not superfluous. The data changed between backups, and
 > was updated on each of the laptops. However, the backups really refer to
 > a single data set. I wish to preserve the old backups for reference and
 > historical purposes, but I want to merge the three backup sets into one
 > backup set. The situation is equivalent to having a single computer
 > where the computer name was changed twice, and additional backuppc
 > entries created for the changed computer names.
 >
 > Peter

Well assuming that each set of backups has a coherent set of full and
incrementals, then you can manually renumber the backups so that the
numbers are in sequence and don't overlap (with incrementals directly
following their appropriate fulls).

Then (optionally) if you want the web interface to be consistent, you
would want to manually edit the 'backups' file for the host to merge
and renumber the corresponding backups.

Also, optionally for completeness, you would want to renumber the
corresponding XferLog files too so that the log files correspond to
the correct renumbered backups.

Even with the manual editing, this should not take too long.