BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Hosts that go to sleep during backup

2009-10-17 17:48:33
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Hosts that go to sleep during backup
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:45:56 +0100
Some of my target hosts go to sleep during a backup.  These are laptops, and
the user closes the lid and goes home.  When that happens, rsync (the backup
method I use) isn't killed.  Therefore the BackupPC server never registers
this as a network interruption and I must wait for that backup process to time
out before it is marked as a failure.

Has anyone solved this?  I can think of two solutions:

1. On the clients that might sleep, write a script that is added to the stuff
that is run prior to software suspend.  Have it kill the running rsync.  Thus
the server is warned that the connection was shut down.

2. Have the server ping the client every 60 seconds or so as a backup is
running.  If the pings don't respond for 5 minutes in a row or something, stop
the backup.

The reason this is an issue is because I've set only one backup at a time, as
most laptop users are on wireless and I cannot have too many backup processes
run at once.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great
pleasure."