BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using backuppc on a Mac

2009-10-06 12:06:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using backuppc on a Mac
From: James Kyle <jameskyle AT ucla DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:02:14 -0700
On Oct 5, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Vaughan Roberts wrote:

> I have been using backuppc to backup win-boxes onto a Linux server
> using cygwin rsync running on the win-boxes.  Now I am trying to use
> backuppc on some Macs (OS X), but I am having difficulty get it to
> work.

The setup and configuration is generally the same as on linux. What
specifically are you having problems with?

> There have been some comments that rsync is not a good option for
> the Mac due to its file system.  Is this still valid?
This is not still valid. The opinion circulated due tot the lack of
extended attribute and resource fork support in older versions of
rsync released with osx. This just meant that the data you got off a
mac was as metadataless as that gained from any other linux or bsd
machine.

If you were unconcerned about preserving meta data or resource forks,
it was not an issue. (OS X has rarely, if ever uses resource forks
anymore)

Rsync now handles these.

> Is anyone able to point me to a good source of information about
> using backuppc with the Mac?
The backuppc documentation itself is quite good. If you get everything
running, I have launchd.plists for daemonizing both backuppc and its
httpd daemon.

-james