BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Defining data retention periods

2009-04-28 17:10:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Defining data retention periods
From: Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:03:05 +0200
Hello list!

Now that my backups are working with the default settings, I’d like to go a bit deeper and tune them for my needs.

Actually the parameters are set in a way that I get 1 FULL and 6 INCR backups. Let me immediately address the first argument: the “IncrLevel”. Am I right if I understand that leaving INCR Backups with IncrLevel=1, means in fact that every incremental backup is done in relation to the most recent FULL backup? Thus, if I’d change the level from 1 to 6 (for example) I simply would be turning the “pure incremental” backups into “differential” backups? I mean, in this latter case, incr backups would be done in relation to the most recent BACKUP (full or incremental wouldn’t play a role)?!

OK, now the main question of my post: data retention.
I want to have one full month of daily retrievable backups: would this be achieved by setting “FullKeepCnt” to 4 and “IncrKeepCnt” to 24? Would I need to change something else?

Thanks in advance,

Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21