BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How BackupPC finds host when using SSH tunnel?

2009-04-28 17:00:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How BackupPC finds host when using SSH tunnel?
From: Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:55:49 +0200
Il 28.04.09 20:47, "Matthias Meyer" <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li> ha scritto:

> With ssh you have a tunnel to a port of your local host. You can't "ping"
> this port.
> What I do is to change backuppc's ping command $Conf{PingCmd} to
> ssh -p <port> <user>@localhost whoami
> where:
> port = the port where ssh terminates ob your backuppc server
> username = an authorized user on your client

Hallo Matthias,

You are quite right in what you say, but now look at this: I *didn't* change
the default PingCmd and it still works on my client hosts! I read that pings
are successful... Thus my question was about "how" it comes that when using
SSH tunnel, it still knows that the host is online? Or better: may it be
that BackupPC simply pings "localhost" (as this is my ClientNameAlias)?

Regards,
F.