BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Defining data retention periods

2009-04-29 03:10:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Defining data retention periods
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:05:54 +0200
> > Thus, if I¹d change the level from 1 to 6 (for example) I
> simply would
> > be turning the ³pure incremental² backups into
> ³differential² backups?
> > I mean, in this latter case, incr backups would be done in
> relation to
> > the most recent BACKUP (full or incremental wouldn¹t play a role)?!
>
> No.

OK, so what would changing the IncrLevel produce, instead of "differential"
backups?

> > OK, now the main question of my post: data retention.
> > I want to have one full month of daily retrievable backups:
> would this
> > be achieved by setting ³FullKeepCnt² to 4 and ³IncrKeepCnt² to 24?
>
> If your months have 28 days, yes. In my personal experience,
> that is true only for 73.8% of the Februaries. YMMV.

You're right. In this configuration I'm simply retaining *4 full weeks*, which
doesnt' necessarily mean that they equal to a month.
Would you have any other type of suggestion?

Kind regards,
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21