BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [OT] Re: silly question - is there a Forum for BackupPC

2009-04-10 15:20:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [OT] Re: silly question - is there a Forum for BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:16:15 -0500
Bharat Mistry wrote:
> fact is I have full time job and one or two local comunity interests outside
> my "work"

And you probably have a lot of other things in common with most of the
list members.  If you aren't busy doing something you probably wouldn't
have anything to back up.  This is Craig's "outside" job and he still
finds time to answer the questions others miss:
http://www.atheros.com/about/executives.html.

> As in our Local Communinty I'm really a "*Consumer*".

Communities are just the people that comprise them.  If you split it
into producers and consumers it is a business.

> When I need help I visit the relevant Forum.... whilst I'm there and I come
> across a question I can help with I do.... and once my problem is solved I
> probably only visit if I get bored or something reminds me or.... ofcause I
> have a problem.
>
> Last time I visited the Joomla forum was over *SIX* months ago...
> I've not had to for any reason and have been busy with other things - now
> just been remided I probably go visit (and this time I'm not looking for an
> answer)!

This can sort-of work for large groups and common problems, but backuppc
has a smaller community and mostly 'just works' so real issues tend to
be complicated and things where you don't want to wait months for an answer.

> Obvisouly, you might say I don't deserver any help from this list if I'm not
> "Contributing" on a hourly basis... you'd be right, ofcause.

Everyone starts as a beginner - but you don't have to remain that.

> I'm subscribe to 36 forums and there are only 24 hours in a day!

Hence the point of email lists.  You don't have to waste your time
looking - the messages land conveniently in your inbox where you can
immediately recognize if they match a problem you've already solved, or
perhaps supply a new idea that fits your situation that you wouldn't
have thought of otherwise.