BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [OT] Re: silly question - is there a Forum for BackupPC

2009-04-10 13:39:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [OT] Re: silly question - is there a Forum for BackupPC
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Bharat Mistry <basmistry AT googlemail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:27:40 +0200
Hi,

Bharat Mistry wrote on 2009-04-10 18:05:31 +0100 [Re: [OT] Re: [BackupPC-users]
silly question - is there a Forum for BackupPC]:
> all I said is I prefer "Forum"

fair enough.

> For me and I suspect most others like any good application this will be
> INSTALL & FORGET excercise. Yes, Lists and Forums are all about PEER SUPPORT
> but I don't think I'm selfish only looking / answering when I've got a
> problem and a reason to visit.

That's not what I meant to say. Les explained it very well: I'll answer
questions on the list, but I won't go looking through a forum, and I'm
obviously not the only one who thinks like that. I'll resent it if a forum
clutters this list with rubbish of one sort (FAQ-type questions) or the other
(missing references disrupting threading et al.). I have nothing against
anyone creating a forum not connected to the list, I just doubt you'll get
the quality of answers you get on this list. That's all.

> I know a List is not rocket science....(nor is  Forum)

That's not the point. It's a matter of preference and of which scales better.
Mailing lists are event-driven and can end up in one central mailbox, while
you need to individually poll each forum for new messages.

> However, with the list I suppose I would have setup a Rule or unsubscribe !

For short-term usage, a forum is probably better. But you're looking for
answers from long-term participants, aren't you?

> Sorry still like Forums....

That's fine with me.

Regards,
Holger