BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How do the files look like when transferred?

2009-04-08 16:17:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How do the files look like when transferred?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:11:55 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello everybody: if I’ll succeed in getting BackupPC to “suck” the files
> from my Windows client, how do they get stored on my Linux server?
> My question arises because when the BackupPC configuration will suit my
> needs, I don’t want to sync many GB of data from my Windows clients: I
> do already sync them with rsnapshot these days, therefore I’d like to
> simply copy them over into /var/lib/backuppc/pc/[client]...

They are compressed if you leave the default setting enabled in your
configuration, and all duplicate copies of the same file (whether found
on the same target or not) are hardlinked to one pooled instance.  That
means that backing up multiple instances of similar hosts or keeping a
long history of backups will only use addition space for the differences
  (plus a small amount for the directory structure).