BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup remote ftp server (internet site)

2009-04-09 12:23:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup remote ftp server (internet site)
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Mirco Piccin <pictux AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:09:26 +0200
Hi,

Mirco Piccin wrote on 2009-04-09 17:36:17 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup
remote ftp server (internet site)]:

> > There are two more occurrences of the same typo and
> > several usages of $t->{host} instead of $args->{Host}, though that is
> > probably
> > intentional (logging the host name as defined in BackupPC rather than the
> > actual DNS name or IP used). I'd attach a patch, but it's really only
> >
> > :%s/\$args->{host}/$args->{Host}/gc
>
> i've applied in the /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/Ftp.pm the
> patch you provide (thanks!).
> I also edit $t->{host} occurences (that is used for log messages) in
> $t->{Host}.

no, $t->{host} is correct. $args are for Net::FTP (which expects a member
"Host"), $t is from BackupPC (which uses a member "host").

> > actually, a quick glance at the source code suggests that that should be the
> > host name only (eg. 'ftp.sourceforge.net').
>
> i've tried both using ftp address as Host name and as ClientAliasName,
> result is the exactly the same.
> Now error is like this:
>
> Last error is "xfer start failed: Can't open connection to
> ftp.XXXX.it: Invalid argument".

I haven't got time right now to trace down the "invalid argument". Does the
DNS name resolve? Have you tried with the numerical IP in ClientNameAlias?
Have you tried appending a :21 (as in "127.0.0.1:21")? Don't know if it makes
any difference (according to docs, both should work).

Regards,
Holger