BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-04-07 16:43:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:36:10 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Tino Schwarze wrote at about 15:56:22 +0200 on Tuesday, April 7, 2009:
>  > On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:44:48AM -0400, David Williams wrote:
>  > > The drive is supposed to be a NAS drive, in that it is connected
> directly to
>  > > my router.  Hoping that someone else has this kind of drive and has come
> up
>  > > with a solution to this problem.  So far I have not been able to see how
>  > > can reformat it :(  There is a web interface for the drive but even with
>  > > that there doesn't appear to be a way to re-format the thing.  Perhaps
> this
>  > > is not something that can be done, or that WD want people doing, which is
>  > > understandable.
>  > >
>  > > I mount the drive as follows:
>  > >
>  > > //192.168.15.6/public /backups cifs rw,
>  > > username=user,password=passwd,uid=backuppc,gid=backuppc 0 0
>  >
>  > Can you mount it via NFS? But I suppose, the cifs implementation of the
>  > drive (some kind of Windows CE?) does not support hardlinks?
> cifs is SAMBA and doesn't support hardlinks (at least in my experience).

cifs is "supposed" to be different from smbfs in offering unix
extensions that should include hardlinks.  Here's a 5-year old article
about it: http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1656. I don't know if it actually
works yet or if enabling the unix extensions on a worldbook is possible
or easier than nfs, though.