BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-04-07 16:06:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:01:13 -0400
David Williams wrote at about 09:44:48 -0400 on Tuesday, April 7, 2009:
 > The drive is supposed to be a NAS drive, in that it is connected directly to
 > my router.  Hoping that someone else has this kind of drive and has come up
 > with a solution to this problem.  So far I have not been able to see how I
 > can reformat it :(  There is a web interface for the drive but even with
 > that there doesn't appear to be a way to re-format the thing.  Perhaps this
 > is not something that can be done, or that WD want people doing, which is
 > understandable.

A lot of the consumer NAS devices only let you access the device via
web uploads/downloads or SAMBA (cifs) - none of which work directly with
BackupPC. You really want to be able to access the device with
something like NFS or ATA over ethernet.

I have a dns-323 (which is a linux-based NAS) and I was able to hack
it to run NFS (after some incompatibility tribulations with ext3 and
kernel 2.6.12). This has allowed me to use the NAS device for
BackupPC. I had a thread on that about 6 months back.

So, if you have a low end (i.e. consumer) NAS, you might want to see
whether it is hackable to run NFS.