BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Nmblookup doesn't find anything, host can't be found

2009-04-06 17:34:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Nmblookup doesn't find anything, host can't be found
From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown AT riverbendhose DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:24:11 -0400
There is an alternative solution. It is not elegant, but it works.

If the server is the GNU/Linux box, add the IP addresses of your network
hosts to /etc/hosts. There is a similar file in Windows XP and probably
Vista.

On the GNU/Linux host open /etc/hosts with your favorite text editor. Add
the following lines and save the file. I don't know what the IP address of
each host is, but I will use 192.168.1.1 for faith-pardus and 192.168.1.101
for Samsung.

192.168.1.1             fatih-pardus
192.168.1.101   samsung

In Windows XP, the hosts file is located at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC,
and the format is the same as Linux. The format is identical because the
hosts file system predates GNU/Linux and Windows and was adopted by each.

The drawback of this solution is: If your IP addresses change, you must edit
the hosts file on each (every) machine. Since your network is probably
small, you are unlikely to have a problem. If you do, the fix is simple.

Tom