BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATED: Fully automated script for creating shadow copies and launching rsyncd

2009-04-02 02:05:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATED: Fully automated script for creating shadow copies and launching rsyncd
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 02:00:05 -0400
David Morton wrote at about 23:40:25 -0500 on Wednesday, April 1, 2009:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > I guess the current comments assume that someone is reasonably
 > > familiar with cygwin/gnu/bash. Anyone can feel free to add more
 >
 > Well, no, that's not the problem - It's just that it wasn't listed as a
 > pre-req.  I wasn't even sure which host the script was supposed to run
 > on!  It was bash, which makes me think a unix host, but it's shadow
 > services, which makes me think windows...   My current rsync solution
 > doesn't need all of cygwin... Anyway, while I may suspect a few things,
 > it's not necessarily obvious... Especially since I'm not very familiar
 > with windows.  I don't think it would be too hard to outline a few more
 > details.

Yes, a pure rsyncd solution would not require ssh.
However, if you want to run any scripts on the client then you need
some type of remote shell to launch those scripts. And ssh is pretty
simple and secure for that. But the bottom line is that you do need
ssh server along with a base  cygwin installation to make this
work. Plus the advantage of cygwin in general is that it does allow
you to do all types of unix-like stuff on windows.

In general, your comments in fact have been very helpful in that you
are pointing out details that I didn't realize were non-obvious or
non-standard. For example, I wouldn't have remembered to think of ssh
server as a requirement. So, feel free to keep sending me comments and
questions - and I will add them to my comments at the head of the
script.

I am attaching an updated version of the shadowmountrsync script with some
additional explanation of the requirements. Please review them and let
me know if there are any specific gaps that are missing. Note these
comments are not intended to be a full tutorial of how to install
cygwin or setup ssh. I will leave that for others to provide as a
separate wikki-type documentation if they think it would be helpful
and have the time to write it.