BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATED: Fully automated script for creating shadow copies and launching rsyncd

2009-04-01 22:21:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATED: Fully automated script for creating shadow copies and launching rsyncd
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:16:13 -0400
While not perfect, I believe that the script fairly well documents
what you need to do -- just read through the comments at the head of
the script and look through the Variables section to see what is
defined and whether it matches what you have on your system.

You can put the programs referenced in the Variables section anywhere
you want as long as they are in the default path. If the programs are
not in your default, then you can use the full path name rather than
the program name in the variables section of the script. The script
is a BASH script and therefor requires bash along with a number of
basic gnu routines such as grep, sed, date. These probably are all
part of a base cygwin install (though you of course also need rsyncd)
but I can't 100% guarantee that since I haven't tested it on a base
install.

I will add a couple of lines summarizing the above to the head of the
script but to be honest beyond that I'm not sure how much more to add
since it all depends on the skill of the user.

I guess the current comments assume that someone is reasonably
familiar with cygwin/gnu/bash. Anyone can feel free to add more
documentation based on their personal installation experiences to the
Wiki - personally, I wouldn't know where to start and don't have the
time right now to do more. I am of course willing to answer specific
questions via the email list.

David Morton wrote at about 20:42:21 -0500 on Wednesday, April 1, 2009:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > David Morton wrote at about 14:15:57 -0500 on Monday, March 30, 2009:
 > >  > David Lasker wrote:
 > >  > > I was trying to figure out the best way to deploy VSS with BackupPC
 > > on my
 > >  > > Windows XP PCs, and found this wonderful script. Thank you so much
 > > Jeffrey
 > >  > > for sharing it!
 > >  >
 > >  > Is it possible to do VSS on XP Home? I have a location that I'd like to
 > >  > do VSS and getting them upgraded to something better has been/is going
 > >  > to be a long process.
 > >  >
 > > I use my script all the time on XP Home.
 > >

 > Getting this installed still seems a little advanced - I'm not sure
x > where all the pieces go.   I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a