BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATED: Fully automated script for creating shadow copies and launching rsyncd

2009-04-01 21:51:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATED: Fully automated script for creating shadow copies and launching rsyncd
From: David Morton <mortonda AT dgrmm DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:42:21 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> David Morton wrote at about 14:15:57 -0500 on Monday, March 30, 2009:
>  > David Lasker wrote:
>  > > I was trying to figure out the best way to deploy VSS with BackupPC on my
>  > > Windows XP PCs, and found this wonderful script. Thank you so much
> Jeffrey
>  > > for sharing it!
>  >
>  > Is it possible to do VSS on XP Home? I have a location that I'd like to
>  > do VSS and getting them upgraded to something better has been/is going
>  > to be a long process.
>  >
> I use my script all the time on XP Home.

Getting this installed still seems a little advanced - I'm not sure
where all the pieces go.   I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs a
little more instruction. It seems to me that if this works well, it
should be the default way to handle windows - looking at the logs I see
that I'm currently always missing a few files due to locks.

I finally found the files on the wiki:

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/User+Scripts+-+Client+-+Windows+VSS

and vshadow tools I downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0b4f56e4-0ccc-4626-826a-ed2c4c95c871&displaylang=en

The Volume Shadow Copy Service SDK 7.2 installs in:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft\VSSSDK72
        (with various copies of vshadow.exe sprinkled around)

and dosdev.exe from (as mentioned in the source):

http://www.ltr-data.se/files/dosdev.zip

What else is needed?  Is a full cygwin install needed?  Where do we put
these files?