BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed content) but same zcatt'ed content?????

2008-10-30 23:17:58
Subject: [BackupPC-users] 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed content) but same zcatt'ed content?????
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:16:05 -0400
I must be missing something on this whole compression, pooling, and
checksum matter.

I found 2 files in my cpool that have the same checksum (one is _0)
but 'cmp' to different values. However, when I zcat them, they have
the same value. I thought that (lossless) compression was a 1-1
mapping?

But here we seem to have two files that are identical (and thus have
the same checksum) but compress to 2 *different* results?
This would seem to be going against the grain of pooling where two
identical files share the same pool entry.

What am I missing?
Does backuppc add some extra header information during compression? (I
didn't see anything obvious in FileZIO.pm).

Note all files were backed up with rsync/rsyncd.

Is there anywhere (other than the code) where this is more fully documented?