BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed content) but same zcatt'ed content?????

2008-10-31 19:56:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2 cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed content) but same zcatt'ed content?????
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 00:52:47 +0100
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-31 15:26:58 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] 2
cpool files with same checksum, different (compressed   content) but same
zcatt'ed content?????]:
> Les Mikesell wrote at about 10:27:20 -0500 on Friday, October 31, 2008:
>  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Is there a (reasonably easy) way of identifying which ones have the
>  > > rsync checksum seed and which ones don't???
>  >
>  > I think you are kind of missing the point that they could both be
>  > corrupted in other ways...

I don't think these files as such are corrupted. They are decompressible (to
identical contents). I wouldn't trust the backup(s) as a whole - they may be
missing files for instance - but that's a different matter.

> I know but I would still like to understand this better since I am
> writing some utilities to clean this up (with the caveat being that it
> may still be corrupted)

I admit that I am missing the point why you are going to the trouble, but to
answer your question: it doesn't matter. BackupPC will add the checksums at
the appropriate time (next backup, I'd say) if they are missing (and enabled).
That said, I'd expect the version with checksums to be larger, because the
compressed content should be identical. Add to that the checksums in one case
and nothing in the other.

Regards,
Holger