BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC quit working

2008-10-30 22:03:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC quit working
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Kenneth L. Owen" <tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 03:00:20 +0100
Hi,

Kenneth L. Owen wrote on 2008-10-30 19:49:24 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] BackupPC
quit working]:
> [...]
> All seemed to be running well until I shut down my LAN rearrange furniture
> in the room.  After placing the LAN back in service, BackupPC no longer
> worked. [...]

it would make things easier if you were more precise on what you shut down and
what you didn't. From the logs, I'd guess you did not shut down "Archiver"?
While backups were working, were there *any* reboots to either "Archiver" or
"Winserver"?

> [lots of quotes from lots of logs]

My feeling is that it has nothing to do with updates but rather with
configuration changes or unsaved configuration information (like manual
starts of services that were not automatically restarted after reboot).

> -bash-3.2$ /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -v -f WinServer
>
> Name server doesn't know about WinServer; trying NetBios

Name server should know about WinServer. Why are you using NetBios for
resolution of Linux host names? For two hosts you can use /etc/hosts if
you don't feel comfortable with setting up something more complicated.
Use static IP addresses, really.

> [...]
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root WinServer /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /media/SHARE2/

That is unlikely to work, since your name server doesn't know about WinServer.
ssh will not do an nmblookup. Luckily.

This was apparently working before, though I can't find the solution in the
old thread - maybe you should have posted it?

See that you can once again 'ssh -l root WinServer' as the backuppc user on
"Archiver" *without password prompt or any extraneous output* - this does not
currently seem to be possible (even if "Connection reset by peer" is not the
error message you should be getting - unless perhaps if name resolution is
somehow working on "Archiver" and failing on "Winserver"). Testing from the
command line might give more insight into what is going wrong.

Regards,
Holger