BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Pool duplicates and corrupted backups

2008-10-31 00:04:45
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Pool duplicates and corrupted backups
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:02:58 -0400
OK. I have been spending all day on this and am trying to understand
(and fix) the different types of pool duplication and corruption.

Types of Duplicate checksums:
1. Same checksum but contents differ -- INTENTIONAL - nothing to fix
2. Same checksum and compressed content
                I have found many of these but contrary to my earlier postings
                the ones that I examined were not in my error log so they
                don't seem to be due to the nfs/link problems (see later)

                I don't know what the source of these are though...

3. Same checksums, different compressed content, same zcatted content
                As per my earlier email, I found at least one of these
                and am not sure why they even exist.

4. Files with *NO* pool entries.
                This seems to be what occurs with the
                files in my error log that cite the failure of
                MakeFileLink

5. HardLinkMax exceeded -- INTENTIONAL - nothing to fix

Hopefully, there are no files with the case of "same content,
different checksums).

In summary:
- 1&5 are by design
- 2&3 are unclear what is causing them
- 4 is clearly do to my filesystem problems
- 2,3,4 could all be "corrected" by a program that crawls through the
  cpool and pc chain.

The deeper I probe into this, the more confused I get and the more I
worry about data integrity on my system...

Thanks