BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC

2008-10-26 23:46:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:45:25 -0600
I have posted this a few times but here it is again.

Instead of installing cygwin completely, install Deltacopy instead.

1) It is rsync on windows via cygwin
2) it has a nice GUI
3) directorys available via rsync are settable via aliases. (Documents and Settings can be "docs")
4) can use authentication to provide some basic security.
5) runs as a service
6) service can be run under a username that is capable of reading all files but not writing

I use this extensively while backing up windows desktops.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-26 09:51:06 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC]:
>  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky schrieb:
>  > > I have googled and read a lot of posts about people having trouble
>  > > with cygwin rsync/ssh but haven't seen any definitive solutions.

did you read <48F8B831.1080002 AT futuresource DOT com> [1] ?

> [...]
> Oops I'm sorry. I'm actually using the following on the Windows machine:
>        rsync version 3.0.4 protocol version 30
>        OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008

Apparently it works with that version for other people (but I'm just quoting,
I don't backup Windoze ;-).

Regards,
Holger

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=48F8B831.1080002 AT futuresource DOT com