BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC

2008-10-26 06:33:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:19:57 -0400
I have googled and read a lot of posts about people having trouble
with cygwin rsync/ssh but haven't seen any definitive solutions.

For me, Backuppc repeatedly hangs after backing up the first dozen or
so files on any of my Windows machines. On any given machine, the hang
always occurs on the same file but the specific file that hangs
differs between machines. The file that it hangs on though seems to be
a normal file (i.e. not corrupted).

When I run 'rsync -avuxH <windows machine>:/c/ <backup directory>',
the rsync process seems to copy over most directories (~12000/15000) but
only 13 files before it too hangs. (Interestingly, the files copied
over are not the same ones that get copied with Backuppc; also
Backuppc only copies over a couple of directories (not 12,000) before hanging).

I am using BackupPC-3.1.0 with rsync-2.6.9
The cygwin remote versions are:
        OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006
        rsync  version 2.6.6  protocol version 29

Has anybody figured out what is wrong with rsync/ssh and how to fix
it?
Are there other (free) versions of rsync/ssh for Windows that would
work better?

(I did see one solution posted that involves tunneling rsyncd over a
manually set up ssh tunnel but I would prefer to just get the normal
rsync/ssh process working).