BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC

2008-10-27 02:15:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on getting cygwin rsync/ssh to work for BackupPC
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <jeff AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: BackupPC Users List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:13:43 -0400
Linux Punk wrote at about 16:53:08 -0600 on Sunday, October 26, 2008:
 > On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep AT lix-world DOT
 > net> wrote:
 > > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky skrev:
 > >>
 > >> I have googled and read a lot of posts about people having trouble
 > >> with cygwin rsync/ssh but haven't seen any definitive solutions.
 > >
 > > I don't think it has anything to do with cygwin or how you backup windows
 > > machines, it's just that we keep running into file lock issues that messes
 > > up backups.
 >
 > I would tend to disagree because we have dozens of machines that
 > backup successfully using rsyncd server (no ssh) but we ran into
 > exactly the issues described when tunneling rsync in ssh. If it was a
 > problem with locked files affecting rsync, we would see those problems
 > in both instances. We've also tried backing up dummy directories that
 > have no open files in them, and had that fail with rsync/ssh.

I just switched over to using rsyncd (without ssh) and it seems to be
working (so far after several gigabytes and several thousand files). I
also just as an experiment tried manually setting up a ssh tunnel
(e.g. -L 1873:localhost:873) and tunneling rsyncd over it -- and it
too seems to work.

So far I have tried the following permutations:
   WORKS
   WORKS

   WORKS
   WORKS

   FAILS after ~10 files
   FAILS (completes but sends 0 files - when done under -vv lots of
   send/receive traffic but nothing effectively sent)

7. From Linux: rsync -av  <local src> <local dest>
   WORKS
8. From Windows: rsync -av  <local src> <local dest>
   WORKS

   plus 'rsync --daemon' running on Windows machine
   WORKS
10. From Linux: rsync -av  --port 1873 127.0.0.1::<src> <local dest>
   plus 'rsync --daemon --address 127.0.0.1 --port 1873 running on Windows
   and ssh tunnel from Linux to Windows with -L 1873:127.0.0.1:1873
   WORKS

NOTE: when I say 'WORKS', I mean that it copies over at least several
thousand files starting from root (either / on Linux or /c/ on
Windows) since I didn't have the time to copy over the 50GB of each
partition for each method.

So it seems of all the multiple combinations of using ssh/rsync/rsyncd
between src/dir and linux/windows (and I haven't enumerated other
obvious permutations that clearly work), the only combo that doesn't
work is using "rsync -e ssh" to copy over Windows root directory to
Linux (whether you initiate rsync from the linux or windows machine).

Can anybody explain what is going on here and what is causing the
problem?

Is this a fundamental ssh/rsync problem between Linux and Windows?
Could the problem be due to the fact that I have different rsync and
ssh versions?

Currently:
Linux: openssh-4.7p1
           rsync-2.6.9

Windows: openssh-5.1p1
                 rsync-3.0.4 protocol version 30

I really would like to get to the bottom of this...