BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why Inbox from Thunderbird gets deleted!?

2008-10-16 13:33:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why Inbox from Thunderbird gets deleted!?
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 04:25:40 +1100

dbatic AT un-instraw DOT org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have around 30 users that are backed up with Backuppc, and today another
> user complained that the Inbox file from Thunderbird is EMPTY, that is, it
> had only one (new) email message. This is the second time that I see this
> problem and on two different PC's. From the log file:
>
> 2008-10-16 09:01:55 incr backup started back to 2008-10-14 18:00:05
> (backup #15) for directory thunderbird
> 2008-10-16 09:29:51 incr backup 16 complete, 43 files, 3342512878 bytes,
> 46 xferErrs (0 bad files, 0 bad shares, 46 other)
> 2008-10-16 09:29:51 removing incr backup 13
> 2008-10-16 09:39:20 restore started below directory thunderbird to host
> cpu-026
> 2008-10-16 09:39:26 restore failed (Unable to read 4 bytes)
>

> The user was using Thunderbird, replying to an email and at 09:32 she
> called saying that her Inbox is empty. As the log file shows, I tried to
> recover but I get the error "Unable to read 4 bytes" which is another
> issue. I did recovery through downloading a zip file.
>
> XferLOG shows that the file Inbox.msf is missing, but it does not mention
> Inbox file (Inbox.msf is the index file of Inbox where all the messages
> are stored).
>
> Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/Application
> Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/t71wkovc.default/Mail/.../Inbox.msf" (in
> thunderbird)
>
> I guess that backuppc started to copy Inbox file (does backuppc locks the
> file during the copy?) and then when new email arrived Thunderbird could
> not access Inbox and thereforr new Inbox file was born with only one new
> email inside.
>
> Is there workaround this problem or users with Thunderbird have to do
> manual backup?
>
> Why the restore failed? I tried on other PC's and it gave me the same error.
>
> Regards

You have not provided enough information, but I'll take a guess anyway...

You are backing up windows PC's using rsyncd and the user has
thunderbird open during the backup.

I must admit, I haven't experienced this problem with that environment,
though our thunderbird users use IMAP4, so even if it did happen, they
wouldn't lose any email.

To solve your problem, you would probably need to close thunderbird
during the backup, or else use the windows snapshot (VSS) and then
backup the snapshot...

Also, the problem with restore is likely rsyncd has write disabled,
check the rsyncd.conf file for the correct settings.

Those are pretty much the only things I can think of/guess that might be
relevant to your environment. If not, please provide additional information.

Regards,
Adam