BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Why Inbox from Thunderbird gets deleted!?

2008-10-16 11:45:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Why Inbox from Thunderbird gets deleted!?
From: dbatic AT un-instraw DOT org
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:42:46 -0400 (AST)
Hi,

I have around 30 users that are backed up with Backuppc, and today another
user complained that the Inbox file from Thunderbird is EMPTY, that is, it
had only one (new) email message. This is the second time that I see this
problem and on two different PC's. From the log file:

2008-10-16 09:01:55 incr backup started back to 2008-10-14 18:00:05
(backup #15) for directory thunderbird
2008-10-16 09:29:51 incr backup 16 complete, 43 files, 3342512878 bytes,
46 xferErrs (0 bad files, 0 bad shares, 46 other)
2008-10-16 09:29:51 removing incr backup 13
2008-10-16 09:39:20 restore started below directory thunderbird to host
cpu-026
2008-10-16 09:39:26 restore failed (Unable to read 4 bytes)

The user was using Thunderbird, replying to an email and at 09:32 she
called saying that her Inbox is empty. As the log file shows, I tried to
recover but I get the error "Unable to read 4 bytes" which is another
issue. I did recovery through downloading a zip file.

XferLOG shows that the file Inbox.msf is missing, but it does not mention
Inbox file (Inbox.msf is the index file of Inbox where all the messages
are stored).

Remote[2]: file has vanished: "/Application
Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/t71wkovc.default/Mail/.../Inbox.msf" (in
thunderbird)

I guess that backuppc started to copy Inbox file (does backuppc locks the
file during the copy?) and then when new email arrived Thunderbird could
not access Inbox and thereforr new Inbox file was born with only one new
email inside.

Is there workaround this problem or users with Thunderbird have to do
manual backup?

Why the restore failed? I tried on other PC's and it gave me the same error.

Regards

Dejan