BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Almost working

2008-10-12 18:37:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Almost working
From: "Kenneth L. Owen" <tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:33:36 -0400

Thanks to all for responding.  So far, I’ve learned several things:

  1. Fedora distributions are short lived.
  2. Rsync is the preferred transport.

Well, I kind of learned something.  I had already figured out that Fedora kept people moving along down the version trail.  I did not realize that they quit supporting issues so quickly.  I knew rsync was the preferred transport method and originally chose that, but as reported in the original post, I was advised by my ‘harbor pilot’ in the Fedora forum to start with smb.

So far as the OS for my server, I have Fedora 9, Centos and Ubuntu.  Once I have learned enough about Linux in general, I will set them up and review them before replacing what I currently am running (I multi-boot).

So, the only progress so far is that you recommend that I do what I had already decided was my second option (using rsync) if fixing the current problem did not occur.

On this path, my next step is to set up ssh-keys for BackupPC.  Remember, that I am a novice in Linux.  I have instructions for creating the keys but find a discrepancy between the instructions (written for Debian) and the Fedora setup.  When creating keys on the archive unit running BackupPC, the instructions say to be logged in as user backuppc.  Fedora 8 came with BackupPC installed and almost setup to run with directories, file permissions and a user (backuppc) in existence but set for no logon.  Do I instead work as root?  -- ken