BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Almost working

2008-10-11 07:14:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Almost working
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:10:59 +0200
Kenneth L. Owen wrote:

> For a number of years I have run a small home network of windows
> machines.  I recently decided to move my computing to Linux.  I now
> have two machines running Fedora 8.  The first machine assumed the
> role of my windows server using samba.  The second machine is to be
> my system archiving unit and I am initially trying to get BackupPC
> to maintain an archive of the windows shares on the first Linux box.
>
> I ultimately want to run ‘rsync’ as my transfer method, but was
> advised to use ‘smb’ when starting out since it would be simpler to
> set up.  I am still quite a novice at Linux but this undertaking is
> quickly educating me.

If you're using Linux I actually advise *against* using smb as your
transfer method. Use rsync over SSH or rsyncd.

 From the docs [0]:

        "The preferred setup for linux/unix clients is to set
$Conf{XferMethod} to
        ``rsync'', ``rsyncd'' or ``tar''.

        You can use either rsync, smb, or tar for linux/unix machines. Smb
        requires that the Samba server (smbd) be run to provide the shares.
        Since the smb protocol can't represent special files like symbolic
links
        and fifos, tar and rsync are the better transport methods for linux/
unix
        machines. (In fact, by default samba makes symbolic links look like the
        file or directory that they point to, so you could get an infinite
loop if a
        symbolic link points to the current or parent directory. If you really
        need to use Samba shares for linux/unix backups you should turn off
        the ``follow symlinks'' samba config setting. See the smb.conf manual
        page.)"

Nils Breunese.

[0] http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#step_5__client_setup