BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Compression during Xfer

2008-10-10 22:32:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Compression during Xfer
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:30:23 -0600
rsync does provide compression.  rsync -z is compressed.  just put this either in your main config or in the specific hosts config for the rsync command.

ssh can compress the ssh tunnel that you create.

you can also compress ipsec tunnels like openvpn or cisco vpn.

Backup cant recognize it.  The compression is in the transport stream, not the backup.  You litterally wont be able to tell the difference in the backuppc backup.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo AT wpkg DOT org> wrote:
Sebastien Sans schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> The compression system of the pool in BackupPc is great, it save a lot
> of place, but I didn't found how to compress the tranfers in order to
> save my bandwidth.
> I tryed to modify the command line in "rzync" and "tar" modes to
> activate compression (i added -z options to use gz compression), the
> transfer was shorter but the result was'nt well recognized by
> BackupPc.
> I'm sure there is a simple way to compress the tranferts. If someone
> has the solution, that would be great.

Unfortunately, BackupPC does not support any sort of "transfer compression".

The best you can do is:
- do rsync transfers over SSH - SSH provides compression
- use VPN with compression, i.e. OpenVPN

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org