BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Compression during Xfer

2008-10-13 08:52:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Compression during Xfer
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:48:18 -0500
On 10/10 11:54 , Sebastien Sans wrote:
> The compression system of the pool in BackupPc is great, it save a lot
> of place, but I didn't found how to compress the tranfers in order to
> save my bandwidth.

Use compression in your ssh transport.
Here's an example I typically use:

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -C -o CompressionLevel=9 -c blowfish-cbc -q
-x -l rsyncbakup $host $rsyncPath $argList+';

The blowfish-cbc cipher has sometimes been demonstrated to be more efficient
than the default. I've not done enough comparisons to be completely
confident that it's the best tho.

On a completely independent note, that example shows I'm logging in as
'rsyncbakup' rather than 'root'. (I have the ssh key set up to use sudo to
run the single allowed rsync command on the client side as root).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator