BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up large SQL DB's

2008-10-10 22:30:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up large SQL DB's
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:27:11 -0600
for backing up MySQL databases, why not run a second MySQL and sync them on a schedule?  Then if you have a problem you dont even need to restore, you can just switch to the other server or restart the first machine and sync the other way?  If you do this you can sync, then stop the backup so you can dump that to disk/tape/etc etc.

Thoughts?

On 2008-10-09 22:13, Nick Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:38 PM, David Rees <drees76 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > As long as the file names remain the same and you are using rsync,
> > only the changes will be downloaded.
> >
> Do you know how it does that? I thought it just checked checksums to
> see if they were different?  How can it just download the changes to a
> large DB like that if its all contained in a single file DB?

That is the virtue of the rsync algorithm.
See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512