BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] suffering from the backups have stopped syndrome/rsyncd connection stalled

2008-10-06 19:18:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] suffering from the backups have stopped syndrome/rsyncd connection stalled
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>, Terri Kelley <neteng AT farm-market DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 01:11:39 +0200
Hi,

Terri Kelley wrote on 2008-10-06 00:51:56 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] suffering
from the backups have stopped syndrome]:

> [...]
> No one have any further ideas on this?

well, yes, a vague one. A while back someone traced something like this down
to a corrupt attrib file. I've been trying to find the time to write a script
that does some sanity checking on attrib files but haven't gotten around to
doing it so far. I'm also not completely sure what could be checked, but a
closer look at the attrib structure should clear some of that up. I'll have a
look at it now, but I can't promise anything (least of all that it's actually
your problem :-). If I don't post anything within 48 hours, I won't for at
least a week ...

Kenneth Porter wrote on 2008-10-01 11:15:05 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd
connection stalled]:
> I notice on the general status page that both clients have PIDs but that
> the client with network activity has a transfer PID. Does only one client
> at a time transfer?

No. This seems to be the same (kind of) problem. If I remember correctly, the
rsync child process is forked after the file list has been generated, which
would mean generating the file list does not complete (which is consistent
with what I remember of the report on the corrupt attrib file).

Regards,
Holger