BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with user-space NFS (unfs) and symbolic links

2008-10-06 19:18:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with user-space NFS (unfs) and symbolic links
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 00:40:39 +0200
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-09-28 16:47:43 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]
Problems with user-space NFS (unfs) and symbolic links]:
> Because of limitations of my NAS, I can only run user-space NFS (unfs)
> on it.
>
> When BackupPC has TopDIR set to the mounted (u)NFS share, BackupPC
> ends up silently freezing at the start of a backup.
>
> I traced the problem to issues with symbolic links. Specifically, with
> the combination of the flags --links and --times
>
> If I run:
> rsync -v --times --links <symlink> <unfs share>
> I get the error message:
>   rsync: failed to set times on "<path-to-file>": Stale NFS file handle
> (116)
>
> However, the link itself seems to copy ok except that the time is
> always the time of the copy (since it failed to set times I guess).
>
> Now assuming that I can't fix unfs, is there any way to get rsync to
> ignore times on links (while still respecting the --times variable on
> other files). I'm thinking of something analogous to the
> --ignore-dir-times directive.
>
> Alternatively, is there any way to get BackupPC to just ignore this
> error?

you've analyzed away too much information. BackupPC doesn't store symbolic
links as symbolic links (actually, I can't find *any* usage of symlinks in
BackupPC), so what you've traced the problem to doesn't actually occur within
BackupPC. Besides that, freezing silently is not the intended response I'd
expect from BackupPC to encountering an error from utime() (which is
apparently only called on log files anyway), so it's unlikely there is a
$Conf{DontFreezeSilentlyOnUtimeErrors} you could set to prevent it ;-).

Finally, "Stale NFS file handle" doesn't sound like a sane error for a utime()
call on a freshly created file (or symlink), so I'd guess your NFS server might
have more problems with sane behaviour, but it's really hard to tell from here.

Regards,
Holger