BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] corrupted files and never-ending backups

2008-10-07 04:48:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] corrupted files and never-ending backups
From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo AT wpkg DOT org>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>, backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:43:31 +0200
Holger Parplies schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote on 2008-10-06 10:47:52 +0200 [[BackupPC-users]
> corrupted files and never-ending backups]:
>> To date, for me, the most serious issue with BackupPC are never-ending
>> backups, caused by corrupted files.
>>
>> I'm not sure what causes file corruption though (server crash, broken
>> network connection, interrupted backup, killed backuppc process,
>> something else)?
>>
>> When BackupPC makes a backup, and a previous full contains a corrupted
>> file, it often gets decompressed to a file which grows beyond any limits
>> (i.e., 45 GB, until interrupted).
>
> sounds like what I just wrote before reading your mail might also apply here,
> though I'm not quite sure what you mean by decompressing a file during a
> backup.

What is creating a "RStmp" file in the "host/new/<share>" directory?
I see that (largish, growing without end) file there always when I have
a problem with corrupted files.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem; I think BackupPC
creates this file when checksums are enabled (and, for example
$Conf{RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb} = '0.01'; - which is default).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org