BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup through slow line?

2008-09-03 07:27:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup through slow line?
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 07:27:47 -0400
Christian Völker wrote:
> |> Assume, the full backup is finished after two weeks- will the next full
> |> backup take the same amount of time?
> | If you are using rsync it will be much faster next time, sending only
> | the changes.
> If so, again the question what is then the difference between a full
> rsync backup and an incremental one? I think I'll have to read the docs
> again to understand this...tried already several times, didn't succesed ;-)

With rsync, the difference between a full and incremental has more to do
with processor and disk activity than with bandwidth.  Both use about
the same bandwidth.  If you ask me, it doesn't make sense to call them
"full" and "incremental", but I guess those terms are holdovers from the
days when BackupPC didn't offer rsync as a transport.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.