BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup through slow line?

2008-09-02 15:28:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup through slow line?
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:29:47 -0500
Christian Völker wrote:

> Now I have some remote servers which can be reached through a VPN.
> Unfortunately the connection speed is very slow (128Kb/s), because it's
> only needed for named, ssh and mail. Additionally it's a line without a
> fixed IP, instead the line is disconnected every 24 hours.

If you are using openvpn you can give the end point its own ip address
with routes through the local side and use that as the target address
for the backup.

> Now I want to backup these servers. Obviously it takes more than 24
> hours to perform a full backup, so the running backup fails after 24hours.
>
> BackupPC now schedules the next full backup....which runs for 24h and
> fails...and so on.
>
> My question now is:
> If the full backup fails, does it start from scratch every time or are
> some files already stored in the backup and used during the next try, so
> it'll finish some day?

If you are using rsync as the transfer method it will continue
approximately where it stopped.

> Meanwhile, the full backup runs for 5 days, interrupted five times after
> 24hours...I don't know if it will finish some day.

Your log files should have some info about what it is doing.

> Next question:
> Assume, the full backup is finished after two weeks- will the next full
> backup take the same amount of time?

If you are using rsync it will be much faster next time, sending only
the changes.