BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage

2008-07-25 18:21:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:21:43 -0500
dan wrote:
> the problem with zfs snapshots is that you will have to be very careful
> about organizing the data.  you are taking a snapshot of a live
> filesystem but what does it depend on?

If I understand the process right, you make a zfs snapshot first, so
what you send isn't from a live filesystem.  Then you send that and at
the other end receive it into a snapshot that you could promote to the
filesystem if you wanted (but you don't have to).

> and when you send it to the other
> machine is that dependancy met?  what if you miss sending a snapshot?

The only thing I'd expect to be a problem would be if you failed partway
through the send.  But, you should be able to snapshot, receive to that,
and revert on a failure.

> The problem here is automating the process.

Someone must have done this already.  If it is sent over ssh, you should
know if it completes or not.

> I have toyed with the idea
> of doing a script that would do an md5 and timestamp on each file, write
> that to a log and then do the same on the remote system.  then compare
> the two systems and use rsync on each item.

I don't think you need any of that - just snapshot and retry until the
send of that snapshot succeeds.

> I am currently syncing over 240GB with rsync without issues.  the sync
> takes about 1-1.5 hours with most of that time being spent making the
> file list.  this does work well, you just have to be patient and avoid
> the temptation to kill rsync because you think it is dead.

I've let rsync run for days and never got the first copy completed.